Reverb10: 5 Minutes
First I must tell my “back story” on this:
I have known about this website www.reverb10.com for about 11 days now. It is a 31 day challenge where there are daily prompts to reflect on and write about in blogs or journals. I have resisted doing this for one reason only…I am a bleepin’ perfectionist. I thought I was a “recovering perfectionist”, but this has shown me that I still have tendencies.
Here is why I’ve not written…because I didn’t find it on the first day it started. I found it on day 3 and was conflicted by how I would be able to participate when I was late to the game?, then I put it off another day, then I thought I’d pick it up on an ‘even’ day (can you say OCD?), then I put it off, then I came up with a plan to do them all in one post to catch up…then I put it off. This circular thinking only accomplished ONE THING….it accomplished me doing NOTHING. Grrrrr. Anyway, it is now Day 15. I’ve missed 14 days of the 31 day challenge and I’ve decided to jump in here, not look back and assume that these next 16 days will be exactly what I’m meant to do, no more no less.
Just so you know my inner critic is speaking to me right now (let’s call her Princess Perfect) and she is saying…Oh but aren’t you going to do the other previous prompts? Those NEED to be done to complete the challenge, what if you’re missing something good? Won’t you feel inadequate for not at least acknowledging the other 14 prompts.
AND NOW, I say to her…SHUT UP ALREADY and let me be a little courageous, a little naughty, a little imperfect and just do it right here right now in this moment and going forward…that is how I am CHOOSING to do it and…YOU ARE NOT THE BOSS OF ME. So, with all that being said, here is the prompt and here is my answer:
Imagine you will completely lose your memory of 2010 in five minutes. Set an alarm for five minutes and capture the things you most want to remember about 2010.
- Being coached by Martha Beck
- Being with my tribe in Colorado
- Weekly visits with my buddies
- Almost daily walks with my friend
- Kids being so cool at the ages they are
- Vietnam and Cambodia with my husband – 15 years!
- Starting this website
- Continuing on my other website
- Finding Good Vibe University
- Reading tons of inspirational books
- Being with family on multiple occasions
- Buying flannel sheets and loving my bed again
- Rainbows, sunsets, Eagles, hummingbirds, lakes, nature, connection to something bigger than me
- Clients who inspire and challenge me
- Photographing beautiful people (especially babies)
- Witnessing magic on a regular basis
- My mom and dad
- Piano lessons, music shows, soccer games, school assemblies, playdates, game nights, outdoor adventures, slumber parties, movies, everyday magic of being a daughter, sister, wife, mother…and human being.
- If I don’t remember these things, I believe I will know that I am loved, I do love, I am happy, I am well and I love this game called life!
- “Princess Perfect” here – I don’t like ending at 19!
Wow, 5 minutes is longer than I thought. Wow, my memory is going. Wow, I sense that I missed something big. Wow, that is powerful. Wow, I have a lot to be grateful for just in this year…imagine if I were to think of my whole life…STUNNING (that is one of my new favorite words).
I am now looking forward to the next time I choose to answer the Reverb10 prompts…maybe tomorrow, maybe never….and that is OKEY DOKEY (pthpthpthpthpth…to you “Princess Perfect”)!
Posted on December 16, 2010, in Uncategorized and tagged Everyday Life, Procrastination, wabi sabi. Bookmark the permalink. 2 Comments.
Welcome to Reverb10 – it’s never too late to get started. Who needs “Princess Perfect” anyway 🙂
Yes…I say “Princess Perfect” is slowly but surely being escorted out of my life to her castle far far far far away!