Today is what I will call a ‘flake day’. It is one of those days that I flaked on two important-to-me appointments. For both appointments, I left people hanging. I would like to say that this is not normal for me…but I would be lying.
What is normal is that I mostly have my schedule and act together and show up for my appointments…WHEN MY WEEKS ARE NORMAL. This week is not normal. For one, the weather is messing with the kids’ schedule and 2 hour delays are changing my priorities. Second, my husband is travelling (which is becoming a normal thing). Lastly, I leave tomorrow for some R&R.
Here is what I would like to say to myself.
- So good to see that you are practicing NOT being perfect.
- So good to see that you are willing to own your mistake and move on.
- So good to see that you are able to sit with the thought “I’ve screwed up and ruined my opportunity” and turn it around to…mistakes happen, you’ll be ok, people will understand AND what if the opportunity is ruined? What does that mean?
- So good to see that you recognize where you can change how you handle complicated weeks…like, leaving lots of empty space for dealing with the complicated week, and not adding to the schedule after the week has started.
Some thoughts to ponder:
- Why is it that I ‘tend to’ pack a lot into my schedule during weeks that are complicated?
- Why is it that ‘Murphy’s Law’ is that when my schedule is tight, more things show up to fill the empty spots on my calendar?
- Why is it that I feel compelled to ‘say yes’ and book the earliest date even if it makes my week busy and complicated?
I will leave these questions for now…and I set the intention that I will be more “present” with my schedule and be aware that during busy/complicated weeks it will serve me to ‘un-complicate’ it as much as possible. I also intend to be willing to see that urgency is not the best policy.
I do like busy. I do like connecting with others. I don’t like missing my meetings and I don’t like how I feel about it….so I am looking to see where all of my desires can be met within the framework of balance and grace.
I officially release myself from this situation and move onto….PACKING and QUICK SHOPPING….both of which I’ve left to the last minute…which is for exploration ANOTHER TIME.
Life is good…and will be feeling great on my trip! Deep cleansing breath…